Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Broccoli Cheddar Soup

My family loves this soup. My son and husband are very picky eaters but love this soup. My son really likes Broccoli Cheddar Soup and orders it all the time at restaurants. I can't complain because he's actually eating a good amount of broccoli. Hope you enjoy.


Ingredients
·      2 tablespoons butter
·      1 medium onion diced
·      6 cups water
·      6 teaspoons beef bouillon (or 6 beef bouillon cubes)
·      1/2 cup butter
·      1/2 cup flour
·      3 cups fat free half & half (or regular)
·      6 cups chopped broccoli florets
·      1 teaspoon salt (I started out with this amount then added to taste)
·      1  teaspoon white pepper
·      4 cups mild cheddar cheese
 
Instructions
In your pot sauté 2 tablespoons butter and onions over medium heat until onions are translucent (I use the pot I am going to use for the soup and put the onions on a paper plate to save dishes). Remove from heat and set aside. In a sauce pan bring water to a boil, add beef bouillon and whisk until combined. Remove from heat and set aside. In your pot melt 1/2 cup butter over medium heat. Slowly whisk in flour until mixture
1.   clumps up or forms a "ball". Add beef bouillon/water mixture and stir to combine. Slowly whisk in half & half and continue to stir until smooth. (If large lumps remain, mash them out with a rubber spatula)
2.   Add broccoli florets and onions and bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and allow to simmer 15-20 minutes or until broccoli is tender and easily pierced with a fork. Stir in salt, white pepper, and cheddar cheese. Stir until cheese is melted. Serve hot and top with additional cheese if desired.
Notes
I prefer my soup smoother so before I add the cheese I put the soup in the blender then put it back in the pot and added the cheese.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment